In the heart of Julian Alps, the old guesthouse Milka got a new life by Gartner Lifecycle Architecture. Restaurant occupies the ground floor together with the outside terrace offering gorgeous vistas over the Alpine Lake Jasna and the Julian Alps. Reception, one suite and a private sauna occupies the basement. 5 elegantly equipped rooms occupy the other floors. Photography by Studio CAPN.
The concept of Milka is to offer a wholesome alpine experience, combining Slovene tradition with modern comfort at the highest level. The thread that connects everything is taken from the lake itself. Hilly, green, and wooded surroundings dictated the use of colours. The basis of architectural approaches was the use of quality and lasting materials stemming from local, Slovenian tradition – wood, metal, stone offering extremely tactile and rich experience every step of the way.
Milka now offers 6 new rooms, each unique with a character of their own. One of the main goals was to provide every room with the view and the experience of Milka’s amazing alpine backdrop.
The interior, however, uses the colour palette of tones that change throughout the seasons, ranging from blueish and green hues of the lake and the surrounding mountains in summer to warmer tones of yellow, mustard colours of autumn leaves, and grey tones of the local limestone.
Studio / Architect Details
• Studio’s name: Gartner arhitekti / Gartner Lifecycle
• Principal architect: Brigita Gartner, Jernej Gartner
• Designing Team: Brigita Gartner, Jernej Gartner, Maša
Malgaj Novak, Domen Gjergek, Urška Gregorič, Alenka
Jager, Mateja Rogelj
• Website: www.gartner-a.com
• Instagram: @ gartner_arch/
• Country: Slovenia
• City: Ljubljana
• Project Details
• Year of Construction (start and end): 2019-2022
• Gross Construction Area (m2): 789,5 m2
• Site Area (m2): 1021 m2
• Typology: Hospitality; Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
• Number of Floors: 4
• Location: Jasna Lake, Kranjska Gora, Slovenia
• Name: Milka Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
• Interior Design: Gartner arhitekti / Gartner Lifecycle
• Structural Engineer: Marko Pavlinjek; Elea
• Lightning: Gartner arhitekti, Intra Lighting
• Landscape: Gartner arhitekti / Gartner Lifecycle
• Construction: Baumi, gradbeništvo in svetovanje, Martin
• Materials: Wood, steel, stone, concrete
• Client: B&B nepremičnine d.o.o.