This residence designed by Terra Studio, LLC explores the relationship between new and existing architecture in Philadelphia’s historic Rittenhouse neighborhood. The owner purchased two adjacent lots occupied by a pair of two-story 1950’s brick houses, which the Philadelphia Historic Commission deemed “non-contributing” to the district. Prior to 1950, the two lots formed part of the backyard of the 1870s mansion that still fronts on Spruce Street. Further back in time, two stone houses occupied the lots. These were the houses of workers who served the industries that grew along the banks of the nearby Schuylkill River in the early 1800s. Photography by Jeffrey Totaro.
Rittenhouse House by Terra Studio, LLC
Leave a reply